Glad vs Rambo Grappling - Trickfighters

If you're a fan of good, sweaty grappling between two hunks with heaps of experience, then this may be the video for you. I don't see many reviews of Trickfighters' videos in the underground wrestling space, perhaps because their prices may be a little steep for some. I was intrigued by this match, however, and it's a great one. It features Glad in the blue (short for Gladiator) and Rambo (which I believe is a reference to the Sylvester Stallone character)—an enticing battle by all accounts.

Rambo makes his triumphant return to the mat room after a long absence (don't ask me how long because I have no idea). The beard is new and looks fantastic.

Glad (blue) locks up with Rambo (yellow)

The video actually begins with some preamble. Two minutes of prep time. I assume it's them (and fellow Trickfighters star Mirko) going over the custom script and practicing certain moves. The match itself, however, begins cautiously. As far as I'm aware, Glad and Rambo have never wrestled before, at least on camera. They size each other up, but it doesn't take long before they're rolling around in a bundle of limbs.

Physically, I would say these two are perfect for each other as opponents. There's just something about it that makes sense but don't have the words to articulate how. I hope you can just see it like I do. Every hold they put each other in feels like two puzzle pieces locking together.

Rambo in some trouble

Unlike many of Trickfighters' other productions, this match has a more serious tone. As the customer rightly points out in their feedback on the match, the pace is slower in comparison. There's an intensity to this contest that is seldom seen in much of their more 'fun' videos. While not unusual in the grand scheme of underground wrestling, I appreciate the stoicism.

Glad and Rambo are perfectly matched (I will review other match dynamics, I promise). Control swaps between both men fluidly, like a dial that never stops turning. The holds are long and painful—just the way they should be. This match is going to be a grind, and they both know it.

Rolling double headscissors!

It's as much a battle of endurance as it is skill. Getting caught in someone's scissors or sleeper is inevitable, and when your opponent is as strong as you are, being able to withstand the pain is just as important as your ability to escape.

A staple of tough matches like this is sweat. While that is obvious to most, it's not particularly common in some of the longer Trickfighters matches I've seen. There's plenty of it here, however. It really emphasizes the bump and grind flavor this battle brings to the table.

Glad caught in a sleeper

Despite the closeness, the sweat, and the intensity of this match there doesn't seem to be any animosity or aggression. It's truly a battle of skill and resilience. Glad and Rambo hardly give each other a moment to breathe. There's a particular focus on sleepers and scissors that becomes more evident as the match progresses.

The finisher is sensational and epitomizes the feel of the match from the first lock up. It is for sure one of my favorite parts of the match (and there are many). It keeps me on the edge of my seat as these two, bodies aligned, fight for every last breath they can squeeze out of each other. If Trickfighters has any more matches like these, count me in.

Battle of attrition

Glad vs Rambo Grappling has a runtime of 30:13 and may be found on the Trickfighters site here. I'd advise against reading the Custom Order Instructions to save yourself from spoilers. The gifs I've used here don't give much away.

Comments

Popular Posts